Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Ice Cream Dress

 This was my first go at an Oliver + S pattern...well a paid for one anyway. I am very fond of the Lazy Days Skirt, free pattern on their site. 

My niece is getting married so Miss Faye needed a party dress. I already had the material...a pale yellow broadcloth from Hobby Lobby and a pair of white eyelet pajama pants from the back of my drawer; they just never fit quite right....so I was on the lookout for a pattern. Gail from over at Probably Actually just made another Ice Cream top and I knew that the dress version would be perfect for what I had in mind.

The pattern was easy to follow. They give great tip for making each step a bit easier. Overall, I'm totally in love with the dress I made! I made the 12-18 month size which turned out to be way too long...but fit great everywhere else. I kept all the extra material and just folded it into the hem. This way, as long as the head and sleeves still fit; I have 4 inches I can let the dress out at the bottom. I also modified the dress as well. I wanted the eyelet as an overlay and the pattern called for color blocking. The color blocking just was not what I had in mind for a party dress. I also didn't add the pockets or the 'v' notch that should have been on the collar. I also added some ribbon on the bottom to sort of mimic the color blocking.

Here is the completed dress (well, maybe not...I think I want to add something up near the top).
  
I created the split by folding the eyelet in half after I already cut out the pattern piece. I marked in 2.5 inches (knowing that would double when I unfolded the dress) and around 12 inches up. I cut out the 'V' shape that I had created and then I unfolded the dress and continued cutting the front piece in half. I put in a 1/4" hem going down each side and then I used my surger to sew the two halves back together.

I made the main part of the dress out of a pale yellow material that I picked up at Hobby Lobby. It was one of those purchases just because I loved the color. It was also only a $2 purchase...I mean, how could you pass something like that up! I just knew I would find a reason to use it.
I also picked out a fun button with the help of Miss Faye's big brothers.
She looks adorable in the dress! As you can see, I added white ribbon on the yellow fabric and yellow ribbon on the eyelet. I choose three different ribbons to add some visual interest.
And someday my 11 month old will get some hair!
ETA....I did add some daisies! This dress is just perfect!





No comments:

Post a Comment